Monday, April 4, 2011

I was lucky enough to be with the book on it's next stop!

Take a look...

What an inspirational group of people!!


Meet the Colorectal Cancer Support Group
at
St. Joseph's Hospital
Orange, California

I know you have heard me say this before, but I never cease to be amazed by the people and places this book has allowed me to journey to!  It is just amazing to me, the warmth, the kindness, the open arms and welcomes I received from so many wonderful individuals fighting this terrible disease!!  I have been fortunate enough to be invited several places to speak; to groups, support groups, events, races, etc and I am generally speechless on my way home.  It is not the disease, I mean let's face it we all no know one wants it or asks for it.  It is the attitudes, the spirit, the willingness to fight, to move forward and get through something so terrible that most days it knocks you on your bootie and it is that strength, that fight, that willingness to move forward that gets us up again, that amazes me over and over!  And that is what I found in this group!!

First of all I was honored, as my goal with this book is to reach all cancers not just one.  And secondly, it was because of the kindness and generosity of one gentlemen who lost his sister to cancer and he now battles it himself, that pasted this book forward in the Christmas Book Donation.  He requested that the book go to St. Joseph's in honor of his sister and through that kind offer I was asked to speak to this group by the wonderful Ms. Kathleen Close, RN, MS, MBA who is the Nurse Navigator for this support group,   It is amazing what we can do for each other when we take a moment.

This group was so impressive!  Not only were they spunky, they supported each other.  If you notice in the picture the gentlemen with the cheerleader mirror on, he is not a survivor but a husband who was so concerned about his wife not attending to her Doctor appointments that he told on her in group.  This of course got the group after her because they were as concerned for her as her husband and it just blossomed from there.  I know that there are many tragedies that bring people together and sometimes pull them a part, but my experience with cancer is that people are so supportive, so strong and survivors come together to support each other through this journey sometimes when others don't.  It is just inspiring!! So, of course this gentlemen won the cheerleader award for the evening!  During me visit, we watched the video, they asked questions and we just talked during and after the meeting, it was wonderful and it is a group of people that I will never forget, they are courageous, strong and I know will make it through anything!!

But beside the group and being able to speak with them, I had an epiphany of my own and a light bulb moment prior to this meeting that I wanted to share.  The weekend before this meeting I ran my first half marathon.  Not something I am entirely sure I would like to do again, but I did it!!  And was very proud of myself.  But during that marathon in my struggle to think about anything, anything at all, other then the running, I was thinking about talking to this group and what I wanted to tell them.  I was running along (whining to myself) and thinking I wanted to take this opportunity to talk about "Peggy" the cheerleader in my book.  I wanted to take Peggy the Cheerleader doll, show them the doll and tell them, that for me and I think for everyone in life (still running and complaining to myself about not being able to finish the stupid marathon) that being your own best cheerleader is the best thing that you can do for you!!  I wanted to share (still just done with this whole marathon thing, not liking it, I am on about my 10th mile with 3.1 miles to go) that even if it is not cancer, but a job interview, a blind date, or working out, that cheering yourself on works every time.  That you and you alone can make this happen, you can be your own best advocate and if you have nothing else, you have yourself to be your cheerleader and it works!  Now mind you, I have had it with this 13.1 miles, I want it to be over with, I am at the "what the heck was I thinking" at this point and maybe not quite as politely to myself! When I saw something that made me realize, I wanted to talk to this group about being their own cheerleaders and I was not being mine at that moment.  I wanted them to stand up, be strong, go forward and cheer, cheer like no tomorrow to get themselves through and I was not doing that at this point in this marathon!  And I had to straighten myself out!!  And I will be the first to say, this was hard!  It was a very hard time to be my own cheerleader, I was tired, I was done, I wanted my Mom, but I picked up my boot straps (well my running shoe laces) and got myself moving!!  And I finished, something that for a while there I thought I could not do, but I did!

So for all the wonderful, marvelous individuals in this group, this is what I saw and THIS is for YOU!!


It helped me and I hope it will help you too!

Thank you for your time, your inspiration, and for allowing me to be a part of your group!  I wish you all the best and hope to see you all soon!!   And always remember to...

CHEER YOURSELF ON!!

P.S. This is for you Ms. Julie Garcia!! 
What an inspiration you are!!

Stay tuned as the book is on its way to PERU!!



No comments:

Post a Comment