Saturday, January 2, 2010

Second stop on its amazing journey....

When I decided to send Mirror Makeovers & Savvy Insights around the world for survivors and supporters signatures I had no idea how wonderful it would turn out. Not only is it making its tracks, and brightening survivors days and helping supporters with a little more understanding of what the ones they love are going through, but I am learning too. I thought I had learned all I could about cancer, about myself and living life, but this book has brought so many wonderful people to me, and with these new people their stories, their journeys, words of wisdom and triumphant battles. It breaks my heart to say that not all of the stories have a happy ending, not everyone survives but when they don't, they leave behind those who love them, who remember them and who share their stories, so even though they are gone, they will live on in those who loved them and their memories.

So my journey of learning came with the second stop for the traveling book. While in Houston, Texas at a show with Vicki from Dinkybaby.com, designer of "Peggy the cheerleader doll", we stopped to see a friend of hers who was going through treatments at MD Anderson's. Her friend was our second signature.
Paula Wirth was one of the founding member of The Desert Cancer Foundation of Arizona, which is a non-profit, 501c organization dedicated to serving uninsured women and their families who are in need of cancer care and treatment.

The foundation is a grass-roots, all volunteer organization whose objective is to bring together coalitions of corporations, community and service organizations and private citizens in developing resources for cancer screening, diagnostic and treatment options for our medically under-served population. Paula's board strives to maintain the highest degree of accountability, ethics and professionalism in their work.

Even with all the great work and support that Paula has passed down to the community, she was unfortunately diagnosed with cancer and has been battling to survive.

Paula and her husband Joel moved from Arizona, temporarily leaving their home, friends, family and dogs, so Paula could have the best care at MD Anderson's in Houston। It has been a tough road, Paula being diagnosed with a very rare form of cancer that leaves MD Anderson treating Paula and only 18 other cases they have ever seen of this type of cancer। But our visit was wonderful, Paula looked beautiful and I can only hope that our visit and the book lifted her spirits and brightened her day.

When Vicki and I left Paula's and the next day headed back to our show in Houston, we were surprised to see the "Pink Heals Tour". "Pink Heals" is a beautiful Pink Fire Truck that travels the states, making appearances and visiting survivors to bring joy, love and the fight to cure cancer with awareness। The Pink Fire Truck is run by Dave Graybill and other Fireman who travel, who wear pink fire suits and are so kind and warm, it made my heart melt। I had some of the best hugs, kind wishes, warm thoughts, then I have had in a long time। It was amazing! All you have to do is shake Dave's hand and you can feel the warmth and the kind soul that he is. And with all this said, I even got to sign the Pink Fire Truck itself. The truck is signed by all survivors and it is almost hard to see the pink through all the signatures, again it is truly amazing! But it goes one step further on the amazing level. Vicki told Dave about Paula and how she was in Texas, missing her family and receiving treatment, well that was all it took, that very afternoon Dave, his fellow fire fighters and yes...the Pink Firetruck headed right to Paula's door to visit, cheer her up and have her sign the truck for all future survivors to see!
What an amazing world we live in! So again, I have learned in my journey to give back, that people from all walks of life, all corners of the world, all different backgrounds, they care and they strive to make a difference! All I can say is THANKS .... and it did my heart good!!

Go to YouTube and watch the amazing videos on the "Pink Heals Tour" and go to their website at http://www.pinkhealstour.com/ and purchase a t-shirt to help these men pay for gas on their travels around the states! I bought TWO!

Next Stop for the Traveling Book....Egypt!

1 comment:

  1. This was so inspiring to see my friend Paula fighting her Cancer. I admire her so much. I only wish I could do more for her. I am so glad Dave brought the pink fire truck to visit her, what a wonderful thing he is doing.

    ReplyDelete